This insurance contains certain exclusions and conditions relating to the state of health of all insured
persons, their relatives, their travelling companions, close business colleagues and also their non-travelling relatives.
You will not be covered for any claims arising directly or indirectly from:
- 1. At the time of buying the policy or booking a trip (whichever is later):
- A. any medical condition that you or any travelling companion(s) have or have had or for which you or any travelling companion(s) are taking or have been taking prescribed medication within the last two years.
- B.any medical condition that you or any travelling companion(s) have or have had for which you or any travelling companion(s) are:
- seeing a Medical Practitioner or
- referred to Medical Practitioner for investigation of an ongoing condition or pending investigation of a possible undiagnosed condition or
- awaiting a non-routine consultation with a Medical Practitioner or
- diagnosed with a new condition within the last two years.
- C. any medical condition, of which you are aware, of a relative or close business colleague which could affect the ability of you or any travelling companion to travel.
- D. any psychiatric or mental illness, Alzheimer's, anxiety, bi-polar, dementia, depression, eating disorder, mental instability, phobias, psychotic disorders, schizophrenia or related condition.
UNLESS you have declared the medical conditions to the Medical Referral Line on +44 (0)1689 892 246 and cover has been agreed in writing
- 2. At the time of buying the travel policy or booking a trip (whichever is later), any medical condition for which you or a travelling companion, relative or close business colleague have received a terminal prognosis.
Please note this insurance does not cover any claim if the insured person travels against medical advice or travels to receive medical treatment.
Change in health/New medical condition diagnosed
There will be no cover for any change in an insured person, travelling companion, relative or close business colleague’s medical condition or new condition being diagnosed after you have purchased this policy or booked a journey, whichever is later, UNLESS it has been declared to the Medical Referral Line and cover has been agreed in writing. When disclosed to the Medical Referral Line, they will:
- confirm cover for change in health/new medical condition or
- ask you to cancel the trip and put in a claim for all irrecoverable cancellation costs, or
- offer to pay for an alternative insurance if you are able to find cover with another insurer.
In the event you receive a terminal prognosis, with life expectancy of less than 12 months, all cover under this travel policy shall cease. In respect of any trips booked and paid for prior to you receiving such terminal prognosis, you may be covered under Section 3 – Cancellation or Curtailment.
If you are in any doubt as to whether you or any other person(s) are eligible for full cover, please
contact the DTW1991 Medical Referral Line on +44 (0)1689 892 246 (Monday – Friday 9am to 6pm, Saturday 9am to 12pm, excluding public holidays) quoting reference 'DTW Holiday Travel+'. Your enquiry will be handled confidentially and you will be advised in writing of the extent of cover that can be provided. You will also be given a Medical Referral Reference which will be needed for your application as it will be recorded on to your Travel Insurance Certificate.
Upon completing a medical declaration you will be offered either:
- to include all conditions without exception, or
- to include all conditions, with increased excess and/or additional premium, or
- cover under the policy, with the exclusion of specified conditions, or
- cover may be declined for medical reasons. For such cases with serious medical conditions, we offer a specialist insurer who may be able to assist in obtaining cover. See 'Specialist Quote for Medical Conditions Cover' on the homepage of this website, or click here.
Please remember it is important to consider medical conditions and complete medical screening:
- when applying for travel insurance (be it at first purchase or at renewal, even if there has been no change to health status since a previous disclosure)
- before booking your holiday
- before you travel
- when you/your family/travelling companion/relative/close business colleague experience a change of health
If you choose not to screen known medical conditions, it could mean that your policy may not protect you in the event of a claim.